Htipiti (ktee-pee-TEE), which means whipped or beaten in Greek, is an all-time classic of the local taverna culture, served on almost every menu.
- 250 gr. (1/2 lb.) feta
- 3 Tbs. extra virgin northern Greek olive oil
- 1 medium-size green bell-pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small dried red chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 pickled green pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- Freshly grated black pepper
- Juice from Β½ a lemon
- Black olive for garnish
In the bowl of a food processor, whip the feta, olive oil, chopped peppers, oregano and pepper until smooth. Add lemon juice to taste. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
This spicy meze is a classic companion of tsipouro.